Physics 129 A: Mathematical Methods of Physics
|Lectures:||Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:00 - 10:25 am at 107 Downs|
|Office Hours:||Tuesdays, 14:00 - 15:00 at 452 Lauritsen|
|Teaching Assistant:||Jimmy Huang|
|TA Office Hours:||Wednesdays, 14:00 - 15:00 at 453 Lauritsen|
|Homework Return||453 Lauritsen, jimmy_at_caltech.edu, or by appointment|
- Letter Grades: 50% homework, 20% midterm exam, 30% final exam
- Homework is assigned on every Thursday, due on Thursday of the following week.
- No class meetings on: October 18 and November 29.
- Makeup class meeting at 12:00 -13:00 on October 30 and November 20 at 107 Downs.
- Midterm examination week: November 1 - 6
- Study period + final examination: December 8 - 14
- George Arfken, Hans Weber, and Frank Harris, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists," Elsevier.
Recommended books (not required):
- Lars Ahlfors, "Complex Analysis," McGraw-Hill.
- Richard Courant and David Hilbert, "Methods of Mathematical Physics," Wiley-VCH.
- E. T. Whittaker and G. N. Watson, "A Course of Modern Analysis," Cambridge University Press.
- There are excellent on-line resources such as WolframAlpha.
We will cover:
- Complex Analysis
- Special Functions
- Linear Differential Equations (ordinary and partial)
- Integral Transforms
- Nonlinear Differential Equations
Lecture Notes: Lecture Notes (updated on Oct 8, 2018)
Homework Problem Sets (assigned on every other classs, due in one week):
- Homework 1, assigned on October 4, due on October 11
- Homework 2, assigned on October 11, due on October 18
- Homework 3, assigned on October 18, due on October 25