Education & Outreach
Ooguri has taught a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses, including quantum mechanics, statistical physics, mathematical methods in physics, group theory, probability & statistics, geometry & topology, quantum field theory, and general relativity.
In 1999, he was voted as one of best instructors by graduating seniors at the University of California at Berkeley.
Public Outreach Activities:
Ooguri has published 6 popular science books in Japanese, and over 300,000 copies have been sold. They have been translated into Chinese and Korean. His "Introduction to Superstring Theory" was awarded the 2014 Kodansha Prize for Science Books, Japan's only major prize for science books.
Ooguri writes a monthly popular science article on the Universe in Weekly Diamond, a business magazine of the highest circulation in Japan (Jaunary, 2015 - present) and wrote a weekly column for six months in Chunichi Shimbun and Tokyo Shimbun, major newspapers in Japan (January - June, 2017). He is also a contributing writer to the on-line OP-ed page of Asahi Shimbun, another major newspaper.
Trailer of "The Man From the 9 Dimensions"
Ooguri has given many outreach lectures including:
- Nehru Planetarium, Bangalore, India (14 January 2018)
- Heinz Pagels Memorial Lecture, Aspen, Colorado (2013, 2017)
- Collège de France, Paris (2016)
- Phillips Exeter Academy (2016)
- University of Tokyo (2011, 2012, 2013, 2017)
- Kyoto University (2017)
- Miraikan, Science Museum in Tokyo (2016)
- Japanese Physical Soceity (2014)
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (2014)
- Headquarter of Toyota Moter Company (2013)
- Toyota Municipal Museum of Art (2013)
- Chunichi Cultural Center, Nagoya (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Asahi Cultural Center, Tokyo (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Heisei Foundation for Basic Science (2013)
- KEK (2013)
- TEDxUTokyo (2012)
- RIKEN Annual Assembly (2012).
- Caltech Seminar Day (2008)
- High School Teachers' Educational Forum, KITP, Santa Barbara (2001)
- Wonderfest, Berkeley, (2000)
Public Lecture at Collège de France, Paris (2 July 2016)
Heinz R. Pagels Memorial Lecture, Aspen Center for Physics (8 June 2017)
Ooguri was an advisor to the TV program of NHK, the public broadcasting cooporation in Japan, on superstring theory. He was also an advisor to the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation to produce a 3D dome theater movie on superstring theory.