Education & Outreach
Ooguri has taught a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses, including quantum mechanics, statistical physics, mathematical methods in physics, group theory, probability & statistics, geometry & topology, quantum field theory, and general relativity.
In 1999, he was voted as one of best instructors by graduating seniors at the University of California at Berkeley.
Ooguri was a scientific adviser for the 3D Dome Theater Movie,
"The Man from 9 Dimensions."
Public Lecture at Collège de France, Paris (2 July 2016)
Ooguri has published 5 popular science books in Japanese, and over 250,000 copies have been sold. They have been translated into Chinese and Korean.
Ooguri has given several outreach lectures:
- Wonderfest, Berkeley, CA.
- High School Teachers' Educational Forum, KITP, Santa Barbara.
- Physics Dialogue, Aspen Center for Physics.
- Caltech Seminar Day.
- Lecture for high school students at Phillips Exeter Academy
He has also given over 30 outreach lectures in Japan, including:
- TEDxUTokyo (6 July 2012).
- RIKEN Annual Assembly (9 February 2012).
- Numerous lectures for middle school and high school students.
- Lectures at the Heisei Foundation for Basic Science (29 September 2013).
- Public Lecture to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Blue Backs popular science series by Kodansha (8 September 2013).
- Public Lecture at Toyota Municipal Museum of Art, on the occasion of its special exhibition, "Antigravity" (22 September 2013).
- Public Lecture at the Kavli IPMU, University of Tokyo (27 October 2012).
- Public Lecture at KEK (18 December 2013).
A complete list of outreach lectures in Japan can be found here (in Japanese).
Ooguri was an advisor to the TV program of NHK, the public broadcasting cooporation in Japan, on superstring theory. He is also an advisor to the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation to produce a 3D dome theater movie on superstring theory.